Welcoming Abe, our new team member! +Q&A: Ask us about the new Relic Hunters Legend

Hey hunters :)

Just wanted to welcome our coder Abe (acsantana) to the forums!

He's been doing some awesome tech wizardry on Relic Hunters Legend. He is the Lead Programmer on the game, and will handle everything from AI tools to making 3D stuff blend with 2D in impossible ways.

I think it would be cool to host a very small Q&A with him and me about the new game. Just us here at the forums!

Keep in mind that we might not be able to answer everything because the game is still very much in development and subject to change.

Cheers,

~Mark

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Yo hunters!

Abraão Santana, here! (it's Portuguese for those wondering, don't try to pronounce it out loud)
    Abe for those who don't have a capable keyboard or Bro for those bros of Bro out there.
    Nice to meet you all, very nice indeed!

I'm on board for some time working on some magic stuff for the new RH game -Yep, magic, I use a PC and an unicorn in my workflow-.
    Some of this stuff will be shown soon, some will be kept in Mark's Special Chest of Hidden Secrets for some time.
    Anyways, I look forward to you hunters seeing the new stuff and sending me some tasty feedback.

In the meantime, ask away! A small Q&A about Legend (don't say Legends or Mark will lose one minute of his life) would be nice!

Having said that, there's only one last thing to say:
    NEW RELIC HUNTERS 3D AND 2D ALL AT THE SAME TIME AND IT'S GORGEOUS, GET HYPED.

Some Love,

Abe Santana, the Bro
  • Nice to meet ya, bro! :3

So the Legend is gonna be like 3d char in 2d background?
    Hope to see some early stuff about that cause I really want to keep up with the game.(maybe U can show us how to make stuffs also ... I mostly interested in sprites and models)

Peace out!
  • Hello Abe
    Will the combat be like RHZ or something entirely new?
  • edited September 2016
    2 Legendary Modders for starters, nice!

Yo @ThoBeo, nice to meet you! Gang of the bros of Bro +1!
    (I love Goku and Scarf designs, btw, I guess you're the guy that made them by your pic)
    Hmm, I guess I can tell the char is both 2D and 3D. Background is also both 2D and 3D. The actual plan is to keep things moddable , as we love seing the community mods, this would only change in the future if keeping it moddable would add a lot of additional work for me.
    As soon as something of the RH Legend is released (the game, a demo, we really can't say how it will be just now) , if it's moddable I'll personally tell how to mod it.
    So far chars will be built from sprites, even if some magic is applied on some parts to make'm 3D, so that would not be that different (there are 3D models too, but for other stuff).
    We're still testing some things for the char, so I'll guess this is what I can tell for now.

Hey @camerox! Sup?
    I hate to say both again , but... both again. Same base will be kept but we will build into it, add more coolness, more stuff and more cool stuff.
    @markventurelli is the one who can talk more of this, he's spent some considerable amount of time recently planning combat stuff.

Ask away! @mventurelli will hit me when he sees I'm taking secrets out of his SCoHS (Special Chest of Hidden Secrets) but that's fine.
    (kidding! don't hit me, Mark! I'll never talk about THAT stuff)

Abe Santana, the Bro
  • Well ok then :3 guess we just have to patience and wait for now.
    Good luck bros!
  • 1. Abraão Santana
    Sounds like a portugese santa claus, +10 to that fact if the game releases near christmas (even though I doubt it)
    2. As for introducing myself I'm the entertainer/commenter/bug hunter (and by the last one I mean that's what brought me to the forums, not necessarily what I'm doing now)
    3. Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends Legends (ok that's roughly 30 minutes. yes, I'm a bit of a d*ck)
    4. As for SCoHS I feel like Mark would rather send the ducan elite after you so you get stuck on 1-1 (or git gud)

Ok that was the dumb introduction, now my (somewhat) serious questions:
    1. Is it a prequel or a sequel or an alternate timeline? Will the original cast of 6 all be involved?
    2. 2D and 3D? You mean 2D gameplay with 3D enviroment like Smash Bros or switching between 2D and 3D like Super Paper Mario?
    (basically if it affects gameplay or if it's just graphics).
    3. Is it open world or more like RHZ levels?
    4. Will it have steam workshop or do I have to install mods manually once they are a thing?
  • haio!
    i think mark is a magnet to nice people, there has not been one single person to join this forum who hasn't been kind (other than camerox that is, huehuehue :P )
    Being a spriter i am moslty interested in the art stuff so here are my questions:

will the game have pixelated graphics like RHZ?

and if so, will we get more pixels per sprite?

i love RHZ's look, but being able to add smaller details would be great!
  • edited September 2016
    @ThoBeo *virtual high five* Thanks, bro!

@MrArcade I actually laughed out loud, well played.
    1- I'm not saying I'm the portuguese santa, I am just saying no one has ever seen me and santa claus in the same place in Portugal. Keep that in mind!
    2- Nice to meet you Mr. Mask of the Father (but I'm disappointed there's no Zweihander and no Giant Armor Set visible on that pic)
    3- Don't do that! Mark's already lost some lifetime in the International Bacon Day some days ago.
    4- Yep, that sounds like Mark.

Serious1- I guess this one is in SCoHS guarded by a Ducan Elite right now. But yeah, the original chars will all be on board (with some new additions, maybe?) .
    S2 (a heart lol) - It will not switch between the two, it'll be consistent throughout the whole game. It will be mainly 2D gameplay but the 3D part is providing us with the chance to include 3D-ish mechanics to it (or at least some things that feels yummier with some notion of perspective).
    S3 - Open World! :O
    S4 - Geez, I guess if I don't die, the development goes totally smooth, and modders keep interest, then yes, no doubt, hell yeah.
    I hope I don't die (and somebody put my brain inside a robot someday in the awesome future) but I don't know about the development going totally smooth... so maybe we'll see in the future, I guess?

@Red Haio to you too, Sir!
    Oh stop it, you! But I guess from reading things around here that it's true!

So @camerox is the one that picks on people around here? I would have bet on @MrArcade before! huehuehue! (Fellow Brazilian Zueira laugher detected!)

About that, I have 1 thing + 2 characters, to say to you : HighDef 4k (does HighDef count as two when I write them as one?)
    I'll check later with @mventurelli if we're allowed to share the present state of game art.

-
    Abe Santana, the Bro
  • The combat will be an evolution of Zero's.

We will keep the same core feel that you know and love, but we'll add a lot more depth and personality.

Two major differences: RPG skills that you can use mid-combat, and the new AI. We want the enemies to behave in much more interesting ways than they did in Zero.
  • @MrArcade the timeline question is actually not guardaded by the Ducan Elite.

We consider Legend to be a prequel for Zero, of sorts. You will get to see how the Hunters met and became the group of 6 friends who take the fight to Duke Ducan :)
  • @Red didn't you see the pictures we released?

• edited September 2016
    So It's actually ok to share a lot more stuff, @ThoBeo, @camerox , @MrArcade and @Red.

Ready?

Open World will be like the classic Legend of Zelda.

RPG systems will be incorporated to allow char builds and bazillion generated items.

Verticality will influence combat.

Storywise time travel will be a thing, so maybe being a prequel or sequel will not be relevant? Who knows!?

And the present state of game art is on @markventurelli pics because I edited this for just seing he's explained everything!
    Ergh, my bad!

-
    Abe Santana, the Bro
  • Hey Abe hope you like working with Mark and the community here.

I have a few questions:

1. Will it have controller support?
    2. It will be 4 players still right?
    3a. Will it have share/split screen or Local multiplayer?
    3b. If it does, will we be able to do a mixture of multiplayer types playing with each other? (ex: 2 people on one system 2 on another)
    3c. Will you be able to pick the same character?
    4. Will it be on steam?
    5a. how much will the game cost?
    5b. Have yall thought of putting in dlc?
    5c. If yes to dlc will it be paid or free? Or will it be like RHZ if it is mod-able it will add thing that the community makes?

@markventurelli

To my knowledge you only released one teaser image on the forums.

Also are they going to have arms/hands now?
  • edited September 2016
    Yo! Abbalabbadingdong! I'm soul. I record the dailies at absurd times of day and post them on youtube an hour later because I'm a nutter. I hope you enjoy your time on this here forum. Remember, though: We aren't stuck here with you; you're stuck here with us.

1. Will there be cheese
    2. Will there be some time of daily challenge dungeon mechanic like in Relic Hunters Zero?
    3. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ༼ ºل͟º ༽ ୧༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽୨ (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ༼ ºل͟º ༽ ୧༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽୨ (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ༼ ºل͟º ༽ ୧༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽୨ (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง Sorry, I dropped my bag of Dongers. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ༼ ºل͟º ༽ ୧༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽୨ (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ༼ ºل͟º ༽ ୧༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽୨ (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ༼ ºل͟º ༽ ୧༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽୨ (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง
  • @acsantana Oh my GOD YOU GOT THE DARK SOULS REFERENCE!
    "virtual high five"
    @markventurelli On the last picture, Raff has a tiny heard. Has he shaved before RHZ?

I can't really type much more because I'm writing on my phone and I have to go now
  • OMG! :v
    So much awesomeness got out while I'm not around :3
    The Viual (as told to be 2d+3D) is exactly like I imaged, but the art style is really wow me! It's look like a lot of work to follow.
    Did U guys make them all by photoshop or something else?
    I can't wait to try to make up for Young Scar (working on name) cause it's a previous time line and maybe he didn't have scar yet.
    *(gotta work on the concept now ...)*
  • Oh and I more thing :3
    Hope U guys make Red look more feminist so we won't confuse no more.
  • @acsantana I don't pick on people, I am just lazy and condescending.
    "bazillion generated items" do I find a hint of procedural generation... lol all the games I make are purely procedural generation

So will the 3d element include going to different elevations and being able to fire down on ducans and they deal less damage or none at all?

What systems will it be on?

Will the art style be like the first or second image?

Will there be underground areas?

Are there bridges that appear after finding a key?

Will the open world be original LOZ style or recent LOZ style?

Who is the guy with the white hair?

Why does jimmy have a skullface in the first image?

Who is the green lizards?

What is the pyramid in the second image?

What will the spaceship do?

What is the purple orb that the ducan has?

Why do ducans have rainbow stripes?

Have I asked enough questions? Will @1hkem ask more questions than me? Will any of these questions be answerd (SCoHS)?
  • edited September 2016
    To be honest @camerox, @1hkem doesn't seem to be all that interested in what's new happening here :/
    I like to think the hunters came from different times, especially Biu who seems like a traditional sumo wrestler.
    With a shield.

Wait something about that doesn't sound right

As for the skullface, I'm pretty sure it's because whoever played got to low HP
    On what seems to be a grassy, plain first stage

Casul

Oh, and another question from me: Is this going to have a proper story or is it going to be like RHZ story where it's just "oh hey you are those guys, need to get these things and need to kill these guys"? I mean I'm not saying RHZ doesn't have deep lore (as we found out in the discover I made on my conspiracy theory discussion) but it could always be improved
  • RedRed
    edited September 2016
    @camerox lizards+timetravel=dinosaurs? or possibly the turtles' birth/first form?
    @MrArcade wait i got the reference yet you weren't this exited, i don't think you replied at all actually!
    @markventurealli umm no actually, never seen those pictures, but they look awesome,

could we know what you used to make them? i'd like to start practising considering it's a completely new style for me :P
  • Nice !!!! Progres in this project has be stated !!! Nice to meet you @acsantana !!!
  • edited September 2016
    @Red Yes, I know you did in three word discussion, but I was away on vacation.
    So then, when I was back I decided to respond with "I AM BACK" like "HE'S BACK" but with I because 1. I finally came back
    2. I had the Giant Dad as my avatar.
    Yea, I might have been a biiiiiit too subtle
  • please make punny awesome!!!!!
  • also Can we play as the insane gun guy from zero who sells us upgrades???
  • it would be nice if it was free for the low budjet gamers
  • and also why is it like loz I'm not critizizing but the gameplay will be different. i don't know what your aming for but it like to see the finished project for sure
  • mark u said 6 is red not in this?
  • @PUNNYPLAYER Why do you keep making new accounts? If you had just one, you could just spam a bit in an offtopic discussion for being able to edit.
    Red isn't really "canon", she was added in an update.
    So is Gunnar (the insane guy)
    I THINK it will be free, but I'm not sure.
  • @MrArcade

I thought I read a post by mark saying that it will not be free, that you will need to buy it. (I will try to find that post if I can and then put it here)