[Guide] How to make a character

This guide is in 3 parts to help organize it better. (Sorry but there are no pictures, but might add them if I can)

Part 1
1: Go expand sprites -> player
2: Right click then click on create group, then name it the name of the character (this helps to keep every thing organized)
3: Now this in when you need to make these sprites for your character:
Idle (standing still)
walk (walking)
dash
dash_fx
sprint (running)
melee
dig
death
teleport_in (when they go in a teleporter)
teleport_out (when they go out a teleporter)
hit (when they are hit)
holo (the hologram to switch out when in the ship)
Note: go read this http://www.relichunters.com.br/forums/discussion/279/how-to-make-sprites-that-fit-the-game-visually#latest to make sure you make sprites that have the right pixel density
4: Now expand objects -> player
5: Right click on obj_jimmy, then click duplicate (you don't have to duplicate, this is just to make it a bit easier on people)
6: Rename this to obj_(name of character), then click in the box that says spr_jimmy_idle, go to sprites->player->(your character's folder)->(character's idle sprite)
7: Now under Events click on create then on the right there should be under action something called gamply, double click it (this is were you can alter a characters stats)
8: Were it says playerName = "JIMMY"; Replace JIMMY with your character's name
9: scroll down til you get to //sprites, now if you look you will see it say spr_jimmy_(what ever sprite goes here), what you need to do now is were you see jimmy replace it the character's name, once you do that for each sprite click the check mark
10: now under events click on begin step, then under actions, double click character swap. Now in the second line were should see char_Jimmy, replace jimmy with the character's name, then click the check mark. ( do not worry the text will not turn red, we will get to that later)
11: Now under events click the last thing User defined 0, under action double click, then go to line 12. This is the debug message, the only thin that you need to do is (hopefully you get it by now) replace jimmy with the character's name
12: now go down to line 37 were you see the red (x,y,obj_pistol_jimmy) this tells the game what weapon the character spawns with. If you want your character to spawn with different weapon change it to x,y,obj_(name of weapon)
Note: If you on't know how to make a weapon read this: http://www.roguesnail.com/how-to-make-your-own-gun-in-relic-hunters-zero/
13: Now go to the Macros folder and open All configs. Then add new put it above rider. now name it Char_(name) value 8 ( the value should be the next number after the previous character's value) (to make sure you did the macro right go back to step ten and make sure it is red)

Now that we are done with the character object, it is time to put it in the other things needed
Part 2
1: Expand Objects->Controllers->controller_main. Under events click on step and under actions double click Level Instantiator
2: Go down to line 19 and copy it, then paste it on the line under rider's. Now replace Jimmy with your character's name in the copied line
3: Now under actions double click level exit, then go to line 40 and do the same thing as the previous step
4: Go to objects->player->class_player, under events go to step then under actions Health, Shield, Death. Go to line 10 and do the same as done in step 2
5:Now go to objects->Environments->NPCs->class_character_swap. Under event->end step action->interact, go to line 32, copy line 32-37 and paste it in line 38-43. Then replace Jimmy with name of character
6 Now under the same action go to unlock then copy line 6 (rider) and put it in line 8 and then change the name
7:Now in the event go to draw and open Main draw. Copy line 3 and do as said in step 2 and then copy line 31 and do the same

Next is making the char_select stuff and hud
Part 3
Hud
1: sprites->HUD->Insert sprite. Now make the hud face sprite
2: Go to object->Controllers->controller_main. Draw GUI->Main HUD Draw
3 Go to line 50, do the same like part 2, step 2
The HUD is now done
Menu
1: Go to sprites->Menu->CharSelection and make these sprites:
On (when cursor is on the character)
Off (when is off)
Sel (when selected)
Final
Card (what shows with the description of them)
2: Go to objects->GUI->Character Selection, copy menu_character_jimmy, then in the sprite box replace it with your character's spr_char_(name)On
3: now under events click create and then click on Label. Now were ever you see Jimmy replace it with the mane of your character
4: go to Object->GUI->Character selection, click on menu_char_playerCard then find draw events. Now put thin in anywere between line 15-22:
if slotCharacter == char_(name) { stringCharacter = loc_key("GENERAL_(NAME)"); cardSprite = spr_card_(name); }
5: Now go to Rooms and click on room_charSelection. Click objects then GUI->character selection and find your character then place it on the room some were

Now you should have a playable character
If there are any question about this please ask and I will try to answer with the best of my abilities

If you don't/cannot do this. you can post up what you have to me and I will code it in (please at lease make sure you make the sprites listed in part 1 step 3, I am not good at making sprites)
Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks, now i finally know! A little polishing with pictures etc and it can be a real Marked guide!
  • @Slow_Nlelsen (that was a quick reply) Yes I know this is not polished ( i made a few guides before) I will try to polish it later. I just wanted to get them main part done with
  • oh no I screwed up somewhere

where can i fix
    of Draw Event
    for object menu_char_playerCard:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -7.stringCharacter(101998, -2147483648)
    at gml_Object_menu_char_playerCard_DrawEvent_1 (line 25) - draw_text(x+sprite_width-6,y+15,stringCharacter);
    ############################################################################################
  • @Limocat go to Object->GUI->Character selection, click on menu_char_playerCard then find draw events. Now put thin in anywere between line 15-22:
    if slotCharacter == char_(name) { stringCharacter = loc_key("GENERAL_(NAME)"); cardSprite = spr_card_(name); }
    This should fix it
  • alright tyvm fixed it
  • Wow cool :) I've asked the admin about making a guide like this but U just did it. Good job!
  • Great job, pinned!
  • I will try to make this a little bit better to understand later. (Is there a way to upload a screenshot from my computer to this? when ever I click a image it tells me to put the link)
    I think this would be better if it was a video turtorial (but if I did it there would be no voice)
  • @NinSegaBros You can use some kind of html i think.
  • i recommend using puush to upload image and link it for example:
  • That's nice and all, but it would be nice if someone made a mod to alter the character screen so that they will all fit no matter how many do you add. Kinda like one of these mods for Skyrim that lets you easily pick mod settings.
  • @MrArcade The closest of what you can do is change the size of the selection icon for each character
  • To anyone: Could someone please look at a better guide I made of this. I would like inputs before I post it up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3h7j47bozsp7o1d/Howtoaddanewcharacter (1).pdf?dl=0
  • seems pretty good to me
  • how do i acess the expand sprites and player? do i need a special software?
  • You need Gamemaker studio-
  • I think I did something wrong at some point, because very time I try to select my character in the select screen it appears as missing lang and does not have a card, also how do I make a description for him?
  • pls help me (my characters name is kaleb)
    of Create Event
    for object menu_char_kaleb:

Variable menu_char_kaleb.spr_char_kalebSel(101185, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
    at gml_Object_menu_char_kaleb_CreateEvent_1 (line 8) - spriteSel = spr_char_kalebSel;
    ############################################################################################
  • can u do this on a mac? :3
  • @zalderathemighty
    If you have not found out the problem yet I will try to find it if I can on my next day off

@Happppy
    Would you just do the same thing as I showed in the guide? (Sorry but I don't remember if it is different for mac)
  • i also recieved an error. my character's name is mcshmee although i do not know why :neutral:
    of Create Event
    for object obj_mcshmee:

Variable obj_mcshmee.spr_mcshmee_dig(100649, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
    at gml_Object_obj_mcshmee_CreateEvent_1 (line 30) - sprite_dig = spr_mcshmee_dig;
  • @BlahDude10 Edit: i did out it as its name i just dont know why i put it as that :/
  • @BlahDude10 Re-Edit: Found the error, didn't have a dig sprite